People providing services to individuals with developmental disabilities need to be certified through the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities. Complete the following steps for certification as an Independent Provider:
1. Take the 8-hour pre-certification training.
8-hour Provider Certification Training Resources. Click on the name for more information:
Academy for Direct Support Professionals
Ohio Association of County Boards
Train to Excel
2. If you do not have current First Aid and CPR certification, you will need to take training.
Click here for resources.
3. Get a BCII check. You will also need a FBI check if you have not lived in Ohio for the last 5 years.
Click here and enter information to search for a Web-Check location in your area.
The Geauga County Board can assist you in getting your BCII check. Please call provider support at (440) 729-9406 to make an appointment.
Ask for your background check results to be sent directly to:
The Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities.
DODD – MDA
Office of Provider Certification
30 E. Broad Street, 13th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
4. Complete the online application.
Once you have created an account, you can log on to the Provider Certification Wizard to start your application. The link is at the bottom of the page.
You will need to print out the forms in the “Downloads” section and sign and date them. You will need to scan and upload, email, fax or mail this information to DODD. Instructions are included in the online application.
Click here to see what additional information is required for each service type.
5. CEO Requirements for Agency Providers
- Certification from the Secretary of State verifying your agency
- Letter from the IRS verifying your Tax Identification Number
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university or college (or 4 years of experience in the field of Developmental Disabilities in lieu of a degree)
- Proof of experience: One year of paid, full-time work experience in the provision of services to individuals with Developmental Disabilities in the areas of supervision of staff; personnel matters; financial management; and supervision of services